Sunday, July 22, 2012

Look! It's (almost) a sewing room!

Sooo, after much procrastination, I have finally almost maybe finished the dang sewing room.  Just have a few odds and ends to organize, and .... well, I'll let you see the little issue in a moment.  Shall we have a little tour?


Ok, so here's is the view as you walk into the room, as you can see, there's still a few things here and there that need to be sorted out, but it looks a HECK of alot better than it did.


So, ever sewing room should have an ironing board, and this one is no exception.  Mine is on this spiffy over the door contraption that doubles as a place to hand stuff.


Here we have an EXCELLENT example of re-purposing.  The white cabinet on the left has been a towel hamper/medicine chest, and a clothes storage cabinet.  Now it's holding the over flow of my fabric.  The book shelf on the right is a new addition because I realized the built in shelves weren't big enough for my collection of crafty books.  On top of the bookshelf are some quilting squares, and a dress that I've been meaning to finish for a while with a few other unfinished project that I dug up while going through all the stuff in the room.


Here we have a several things, here that I need to find a better place for, but for those of you that are looking for a design board in your room, you might notice the space that is above the bookshelf and the baskets of yarn (and BOTH of those baskets are full of yarn).  I have hung a piece of polyester quilt batting that should do the trick.

Half of the bookshelves of DOOM with some of my collection of books.  Below that is a built in that supposed to be a desk, but I have found it's a great place to store sewing machines that you aren't using at the moment (sorry, forgot to take a picture of that).  Below that is storage for things that I don't use all the time like my lightbox and quilt batting (I love sewing but I'm SLOW).


If you've read the blog before, you'll have probably seen a shot similar to this.  It's the book case of fabric.... Oooooooh, and next to it is another re-purposed piece of furniture, this hold all the little odds and ends stuff like scissors and pens and such.


And what Dressing Matilda blog post would be complete without a picture of the gal herself? (Ok, a lot of them, actually looking back at things).  Behind her is the other bookshelf.  The drawers underneath the bookshelf house the pattern collection (which I sometimes think is larger than the fabric collection).

Various quilty stuff is hung up on the accessible, but out of the way.



Look, more fabric.  This one in a curio like cabinet that matches the book shelf.  Eventually there will be things that are moved out of here, and I'll put some of the little doo-dads (buttons, snaps) etc here, but for now, it's almost all fabric all the time.  Next to it is yet again a re-purposed cabinet (waste not, want not) that used to be a free standing pantry. The top of it has some of my pirate collection (actually it's sort of all over the place in here, but you can see it best in this picture.


This is the cabinet opened, we've got lace, and ribbon, and all sorts of trim in there.  And a few works in progress.  You can also see the top of the dress I've been working on (more about that later).



Here is my dress top, like I said, ready for the skirt that I am still working on.  My problem? Well, I don't have a proper set of hoops so until I get those done, I can't figure out how long the skirt needs to be so,  well you get the point.  This is the closet in the room, my sewing room used to be a bedroom, so of course I had to figure out what to do with it......


Lucky for us we have a LOT of costumes, so it's getting put to good use.  Underpinning and accessories in the drawers and hanging thingie and clothes hanging up.



Ok, not the best picture, but you can see what else we have used the closet for, those are bolts of fabric, anything that is over, oh four yards or so.  And they go all the way across the closet and there are a few bolts going back the other way.



So, here we have my bulletin/inspiration board, and some more things I have to finish up.  Like making clothes for all those poor rag dolls so they can go up on Etsy, and getting photos done of the poor sheep in the top plastic box so they can go to home too.

So, you might notice that there is one thing missing from the sewing room.  A sewing machine.  Well, here is where it's SUPPOSED to go.....


However, the sewing machine is right now out in the front room? Why? Well, you'll notice the TV in the closet picture above? I love watching TV while I sew, but I don't have a DVD player or anything to go with the TV in the closet, so until I can get around to getting one of those (or break down and get a wireless DVR) I'm designing in the sewing room and sewing in the front room.  Sigh.

Hope you've enjoyed the tour.  Look for more detailed information on the dress (and that pirate coat) soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment